Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Indian Quinoa Recipe


I've never had quinoa before, but have heard about all the health benefits and how great it tastes, so I picked up a box at Trader Joe's.  Its been sitting in the cupboard for a few weeks now, since I had no idea what I wanted to do with it.  I sucked it up tonight and decided to give it a go and make it for my lunch for tomorrow.  I figured I'd treat it like couscous or rice, and give it an Indian twist.  My inspiration is this Indian fried rice dish my mom used to make that I love.

Quinoa Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup dry quinoa (red or white, I used white)
1.5 cups vegetable broth (or water if you don't have any broth)
2 shallots, chopped (use a medium red onion if you don't have shallots)
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice

From left to right: Ground Coriander, Ground Cumin, Garam Masala, Turmeric, Cayenne, Ginger Powder


Cooking Directions:
1.  Bring the quinoa and vegetable broth to a boil and simmer on medium heat, covered, for about 10 minutes.


2. In a separate pan, sauté the shallots in the olive oil for about a minute, then add the garlic.  Add all of the spices and cook for another two minutes.

3.  Add in the cooked quinoa and the lemon juice, stir and serve!

This turned out so good, I can't wait for it to be lunchtime tomorrow so I can eat this!

Makes 2 main dish servings, or 4 side dish servings.

Nutritional Information:
Serving size: 1 main dish serving (half of what was made)
Calories: 511
Carbs: 72
Fat: 20
Saturated Fat: 2
Protein: 12
Fiber: 6

1 comment: