I love me some sweet potato fries, but they're just so high in calories and fat. Trader Joe's has healthier-than-restaurants-but-still-pretty-bad-for-you option that we usually get when we go grocery shopping, but, alas, they were out when we went on our last trip. So, I became determined to make a healthier, but still delicious version. This recipe comes out to 150 calories a serving, so you could actually eat the entire recipe for only 300 calories!
Guilt Free Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
1 bag Trader Joe's peeled and pre-cut sweet potato spears (or you could do the work of peeling and hacking apart a regular sweet potato)
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1. Pre-heat oven to 475°. Move racks so that you have one on the highest rung in your oven, and one on the middle one.
2. Lay the sweet potato spears on some paper towels to absorb any moisture. Sprinkle with salt to draw out water. Dab the spears with a paper towel as you see the water drawn out.
3. Dump the spears on a baking sheet and mist with the olive oil (using my handy dandy Misto). Sprinkle with garlic powder and salt.
4. Place the baking sheet in the oven on the top rack and bake for 7 minutes.
5. Flip the spears on their sides and bake for another 7 minutes.
6. Reduce heat to 350° and move baking sheet to the middle rack. Bake for another 10 minutes and turn off oven. Leave in the oven for 15 minutes.
You should end up with some delicious, crispy sweet potato fries that won't leave you craving the bad stuff:
This makes two servings, but it wouldn't ruin your diet to eat the entire recipe.
Saturated Fat: 1